Kitten With Chick

Kitten With Chick
Kitty Cat With Chick

Friday, August 13, 2010

Abbys Cat Scratch Final Day - Day 8

Yesterday I went home and the scratch wound looked pretty much the same.  I took a flashlight and looked at it really well as I have been doing all along.  It looked like it was fading, looked a bit better then the night before so I was happy.  I had noticed a few times in the past couple days, this day included, that a couple of times she attempted to scratch it and I stopped her as I thought she would re-open the wound.  I then went about my business.  Then, about an hour later, I saw her taking it easy (she was laying on the bathroom floor) I think she likes the cold ceramic tile as it is summer right now.  I was petting her and I saw a little something on the floor that looked like a little bug or piece of dirt.  I pushed it aside and then noticed her wound was completely healed and that little piece of something was the scab!  In her attempts to scratch the wound, she must have been trying to remove the scab.  So, after approximately 12 days, she is healed.  I used no drugs.  The decision to leave it alone and heal naturally paid off and was the correct decision, I am so relieved and happy!

The lesson here is:  Not to over react.  I don't believe I overreacted because I waited about five days before taking her to the vet, the wound was not getting better.  After taking her to the vet, I looked very close each day at the wound to look for changes before making a decision to give her pills.  I also looked at the rest of her body to see if there were any other skin issues that would confirm there may be a skin allergy or something to that affect and there were none. So, I waited to give her pills, I was putting neosporin on it and that seemed to be aggravating it so I stopped, luckily this was another correct decision.  I do believe however, that taking her to the vet helped in three respects; one, I felt better knowing a professional checked her out and it didn't appear to be a serious thing, two, I learned about steroid/cortisone shots and how they can cause diabetes and weaken the immune system as they stay in your cats system a very long time, so don't go there unless absolutely necessary.  Finally, I think that having her nails clipped avoided her damaging that area further when she did scratch it as her nails were really sharp!

Thank you for following along with the Cat Scratch Wound, I hope this real life experience helps you with your cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment